FIU HONORS COLLEGE
SPAIN STUDY ABROAD: MIAMI ESPANA IDA Y VUELTA
John William Bailly ￭ firstname.lastname@example.org
Students must examine the influence of the Americas in Spain. The project should be multidimensional: examine commonalities, highlight differences, and explore ambiguities.
The nature of student reflection must be broad and profound, and not exclusively personal. Students should address connections in society and culture across time. This project should not be a diary. Research must be rigorous.
In the Vuelta Project, students are not limited to one topic, but rather should address multiple issues.
Students will form groups of 3 to 4 students. Each group will be assigned one section of each respective city. Groups will have the duration of the stay to explore. Student groups must explore the history, culture, location, contemporary people of their respective location/institution.
Although exploration is done in groups, projects are individual.
These are to be claimed on the class discussion board.
Chueca & Malasana
Huertas & Bario de las Letras
La Latina & Austrias
Retiro & Paseo del Arte
Barceloneta & Vila Olimpica
Eixample & Sants Montjuic
Sant Marti & Sagrada Familia
This is the major project for the semester. It must be a minimum of 2,000 words.
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited for all project formats. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade.
1. Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
2. The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
3. The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
4. The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
5. Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
6. Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
7. The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. S/he is only expected to put forth maximum effort.
EXAMPLES OF STUDENT WORK
Allison Vargas “Aspects of Freedom” for Miami Espana: Vuelta
Miami Espana Vuelta 2019 Projects
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 21 December 2019
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED