John William Bailly
Students must research and reflect upon an aspect of the Americas that has been influenced by Spain. The project should be multidimensional: examine commonalities, highlight differences, and explore ambiguities. Each student must select one topic and no other student may explore that same topic. Research must be extensive.
TOPICS TO EXPLORE
Below is a list of subjects for research. If the students wishes to select another, that choice needs to be approved by the professor. Each topic may only be selected by one student.
Architecture – private
Architecture – public
Art (can be divided into specific subjects)
Dance (can be divided into specific subjects)
Food (can be divided into specific subjects)
Music (can be divided into specific subjects)
Poetry (can be divided into specific subjects)
Religion – art
Religion – ritual(s)
Religion – saint(s)
Sports (can be divided into specific subjects)
Technology (can be divided into specific subjects)
This is the major project for the semester. It must be a minimum of 2,000 words.
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited for all project formats. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade.
1. Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
2. The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
3. The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
4. The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
5. Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
6. Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
7. The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. They are only expected to put forth maximum effort.
EXAMPLES OF STUDENT WORK
Sofia Guerra “Ida”
Allison Vargas “Aspects of Freedom” for Miami Espana: Vuelta