“The Metrorail system is a 25-mile dual track that provides service to Miami International Airport (MIA) and runs from Kendall through South Miami, Coral Gables, and downtown Miami; to the Civic Center/Jackson Memorial Hospital area; and to Brownsville, Liberty City, Hialeah, and Medley in northwest Miami-Dade, with connections to Broward and Palm Beach counties at three Metrorail locations: the Historic Overtown Lyric Theatre station – transfer to Brightline, the Tri-Rail station at the MIA and Hialeah stations.” (https://www8.miamidade.gov/global/transportation/metrorail.page)
Miami Metro Day will see FIU Honors College students explore Miami by way of Metrorail. After meeting at Dadeland South station at 10:30, the FIU group will hop on off the train until 15:00. The Metro will serve as a vehicle to delve into the natural, cultural, and socioeconomic diversity of Miami.
Students should consider the following when preparing.
1. Wear comfortable walking shoes. The class will walk from 10:30 to 15:00
2. Bring a reusable water bottle. Please try to avoid environmentally harmful disposable water bottles.
3. Dress appropriately. The class is not going to a business meeting, nor is it going to the beach. Students will be in close proximity to other communters and will also visit museums. Use the photo above as a reference.
4. Please take photos and video and share them. The aim of the class is to map Miami through reflection. This documentation will be useful for Ineffable Miami. The more photos the better.
5. Students will need to purchase a 1 Day Pass for $5.65. This can be done at the station or using Miami Dade County’s EASY Pay app.
6. Tag your posts, photos and stories with #miamiinmiami
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 10 September 2019
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED