How can Miami be described? It all depends on perspective. Some may say it is a hot, traffic-riddled, expensive city; others that it is a paradisiacal spot teeming with Latin influence, beautiful beaches, and amazing weather. However, when one experiences Miami – truly experiences Miami – it becomes clear that it is simply ineffable. This project will allow you to write a travel guide showing your unique perspective on one of Miami’s neighborhoods.
Each student must select one neighborhood in Miami and write an academic travel guide describing it. The guide should provide a manner to discover the authentic nature of location. The guide should include history, demographics, urban design, transportation, museums, monuments, places of worship, eateries, and broader lessons we can reflect upon.
This is the major project for the semester. It must be a minimum of 2,000 words.
Bal Harbour Islands
Coral Way Village
Lakes by the Bay
Little Haiti (Lemon City)
North Bay Village
North Miami Beach
Palm Springs North
South Miami Heights
Sunny Isles Beach
Upper Buena Vista
West Little River
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited for all project formats. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade:
- Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
- The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
- The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
- The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
- Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
- Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
- The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. S/he is only expected to put forth maximum effort.
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 25 August 2019
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED