Professor John William Bailly of FIU Honors College organizes hikes to the Tequesta Burial Mound at the Deering Estate in Miami.
If you participating in the hike, here is how to prepare.
- Despite the heat, wear long sleeves and long pants. You should protect yourself from plants and insects.
- Wear a pair of good walking shoes. Do not wear sandals.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and a snack (energy bar and fruit are good).
- Always wear sunscreen.
- There is a possibility of encountering some wildlife (crocodiles, snakes, raccoons). You can always look, but never touch.
- The Deering Estate allows visitors to bring food into the property. So pack a picnic , if you wish.
- Please feel free to bring your phone, GoPro or camera.