“Located along the edge of Biscayne Bay, the 444-acre Deering Estate at Cutler is an environmental, archaeological and historical preserve. From canoe tours to butterfly walks and guided nature hikes, the Deering Estate has diverse activities for the whole family to enjoy. The Estate offers daily tours of the historic houses – the Stone House and Richmond Cottage, as well as tours of the lush natural areas where fossil bones have been found as far back at 50,000 years. The Estate is part of the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department, which manages the Estate on behalf of the State of Florida.” (http://deeringestate.com/)
The following are suggested questions participants may ask. The inquiry should include, but not be limited, to these. Research should focus only on the participants’ respective location. Participants should particularly reflect on the relationship between historic and cultural parallels and contrasts. Students should also examine the contemporary use of Deering-how and by whom?
- What did you know about Deering before participating in Deering as Text?
- What is American at Deering?
- What is uniquely Miamian at Deering?
- What is inspired by Europe at Deering
- What architectural styles are evident at Deering? Renaissance? Rococo? Neoclassical? Revival?
- What artistic styles are evident at Deering?
- What do you perceive to be the demographics of Deering visitors? Who is there and why? For how long?
- Describe the people that work at Deering.
- Describe the architecture and the influence it has on people.
- What is the general ambiance of Deering?
- Why do people visit Deering? Are the visitors local or do they come from other cities? How often do they come?
- What is your experience?
- Are your impressions similar to other members of your group? How and why are they similar? How are they different?
- Are your impressions similar to other visitors to Deering?
- Do impressions differ on place of origin? Social class? Education?
- What works at Deering? What needs improvement?
- How is Deering different the place where you live?
- Any other thoughts or impressions you have.
- Will you return to Deering? With whom? Why?
- What lasting memory will you take away from your visit today?
PROJECT FORMAT & SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
How to do a Miami as Text.
AUTHOR(S) AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 01 MAY 2017
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED