Temple of Divus Romulus
Samuel Platner, 1911.
Just west of the basilica of Constantine, on the Sacra via, is the Heroon Eomuli, or temple of Romulus, which was begun by Maxentius in honor of his son Romulus, who, having died at an early age, had been deified. 2 The temple was finished by Constantine. It adjoined the templum Sacrae Urbis in the rear, and with this latter edifice was converted into the church of SS. Cosma e Damiano in the sixth century. The original structure, which has been almost completely preserved, consists of a central circular hall 17 metres in diameter, and on each side a narrow rectangular hall, terminating in an apse at the rear. These halls open toward the Sacra via, and the doorways of the smaller rooms are flanked with cipollino columns, two of which are still standing. In front of the circular hall is a sort of curved porch, and the main entrance is flanked by columns of red porphyry. The original bronze doors are still in place, and above them is a richly decorated architrave of white marble, which belonged to another building. The temple is built of concrete with brick and tufa facing, but nothing remains of the marble and stucco lining.
Platner, Samuel. The topography and monuments of ancient Rome. Boston, Allyn and Bacon, 1911.