Temple of Antoninus and Faustina
Samuel Platner, 1911.
The Temple of Antoninus and Faustina. — This temple was erected in 141 A.D., and dedicated to Faustina, the deified wife of Antoninus Pius; and after the death of the latter in 161, it was dedicated to both together. The inscription on the architrave records the first dedication, and that added afterward on the frieze records the second. In the seventh or eighth century the temple, apparently in good condition, was converted into the church of S. Lorenzo in Miranda, but since that time it has suffered great injuries. It was hexastyle prostyle, with two columns on each side, besides those at the corners, and pilasters in antis. The columns are of cipollino, 17 metres high and 1.45 in diameter at the base, with Corinthian capitals of white marble, and support an entablature of white marble, which probably encircled the whole building. The existing remains consist of portions of the cella wall of peperino, built into the walls of the church, extending for 20 metres on the northwest and 15 on the southeast side; the columns of the pronaos, which stand free from the church with the exception of the two nearest the antae; the architrave and frieze of the facade and sides as far as the cella wall extends, but only a small part of the cornice; and the wide flight of steps leading down to the Sacra via, in the middle of which are the remains of an altar. Some fragments of a colossal seated female statue, 2 and a few other bits of sculpture, have been found nearby. The whole temple was covered with slabs of marble, but these have entirely disappeared. The frieze on the sides of the temple is very beautifully sculptured in relief with garlands, sacrificial implements, and griffins. On the columns are numerous inscriptions and figures.
Platner, Samuel. The topography and monuments of ancient Rome. Boston, Allyn and Bacon, 1911.