PORTICO DII CONSENTES (PORTICO OF THE HARMONIOUS GODS)
Antonio Nibby and Mariano Vasi, 1849.
Between the facade of this temple and the slope leading to the Tarpeian rock several rooms were found in 1834 with a portico of cipollino columns of the corinthian order and capitals ornamented with trophies and victories. The capitals and work of the columns evidently belong to the commencement of the III century the time of Septimius Severus ; the side constructions and several marks on the bricks bear the date of the reign of Hadrian from which circumstance it may be concluded that the original building was raised under Hadrian and restored under Septimius Severus. It is known from history, and particularly from Orosius, that this part of Rome suffered by fire under Commodus, a catastrophe that induced Septimius Severus to repair this building and the temple of Jupiter Tonau*. An inscription over the portico indicates that these rooms contained statues of the «Dii Consenti» which were replaced by Pretestatus, the Prefect of Rome in the year 368 of the Christian era. The « Dii Consent! were the twelve great Gods placed by Euuios in the following order. Juno , Vesta, Minerva, Ceres, Diana,Venus, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Neptune, Vulcan, Apollo. It is probable that some other restoration was made by Pretestatus, particularly in the pavement.
Nibby, Antonio and Vasi, Mariano. New Guide of Rome and the Environs: According to Vasi and Nibby. Rome. English Reading Room, 1849.