DEERING ESTATE CHICKEN KEY CLEAN-UPS
Canoe out to Chicken Key! Collect marine debris, swim, picnic, and earn service hours all in one…with Professor Bailly and your FIU classmates!
These events are ONLY for FIU students and alumni. Space is limited to 30 people per day. Students must arrive at the Deering Estate by 10:00 on the designated day. The excursion is complete between 15:00-16:00.
Conservation & Research Specialist Vanessa Trujillo of the Deering Estate and Professor John William Bailly of FIU organize canoeing and snorkeling cleanups with FIU students. Marine debris is prevalent not only along the Miami coast, but also under the ocean’s surface. The irreparable damage of this pollution on the flora and fauna of South Florida is tangible to any that enters the water: habitat destruction, wildlife entanglement, and the resulting deaths of marine mammals.
If you wish to participate in the Deering Estate Miami Ocean Cleanup, here is how to prepare.
- Contact Professor Bailly at email@example.com Send him your mobile number and he will add you to the Chicken Key WhatsApp chat.
- You will need to complete the required Deering Estate volunteer paperwork. Each participant will receive certified volunteer hours from the Deering Estate.
- Bring your own water shoes (no crocs or flip flops!!!) and gloves to pick up trash on the island. Please bring large trash bags.
- If you want to snorkel, bring your own mask, snorkel, and fins. It is suggested you wear a long sleeve swim shirt.
- Bring a large reusable water bottle, a lunch, and a snack (energy bar and fruit are good).
- Always wear sunscreen. Bring bug spray as well.
- If you are comfortable with it, bring a knife to cut ropes and fishing line out of mangroves.
- We will encounter lots of marine life: manatees, sharks, crabs, stingrays. Always look, but never touch. Also, always check cans for octopus, crab, or fish before removing from water.
- Bring your GoPro or camera. Share your photos with us!
- Have fun!
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 29 October 2019
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED