FIU HONORS COLLEGE
ITALY STUDY ABROAD: GRAND TOUR REDUX
John William Bailly
Students must examine an aspect of America that has been influenced by Classical Rome, Roman Catholicism, Renaissance Florence, or Capitalist Venice. The project should be multidimensional: examine commonalities, highlight differences, and explore ambiguities. Each student must select one topic and no other student may explore that same topic.
TOPICS TO EXPLORE
Below is a list of subjects for research. If the students wishes to select another, that choice needs to be approved by the professor. Each topic may only be selected by one student.
Architecture – private
Architecture – public
Civic structure – Executive
Civic structure – Judicial
Civic structure – Legislative
Religious – imagery
Religious – practice
This is the major project for the semester. It must be a minimum of 2,000 words.
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited for all project formats. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade.
1. Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
2. The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
3. The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
4. The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
5. Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
6. Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
7. The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. S/he is only expected to put forth maximum effort.
EXEMPLARY EXAMPLES OF STUDENT WORK
Stephanie Sepùlveda “Voi Siete Qui” for Italia: Grand Tour Redux
Allison Vargas “Aspects of Freedom” for Miami Espana: Vuelta
ITALIA AMERICA PROJECTS