See Miami is the Miami art world as seen by students of the FIU Honors College.
Each student must select one public art establishment in Miami and write an academic guide describing it. The establishment can be a museum, private collection, or nonprofit. No two students can elect the same institution.
This is the major project for the semester. It must be a minimum of 2,000 words.
Museums and Private Collections
Bass Museum of Art
Coral Gables Museum
De la Cruz Collection
Frost Art Museum at FIU
ICA – Institute of Contemporary Art
Lowe Art Museum at UM
Margulies Collection at the Warehouse
Museum of Art & Design at MDC
MOCA – Museum of Contemporary Art
Norton Museum of Art
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
PAMM – Perez Art Museum Miami
Rubell Family Collection
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Wolfsonian of FIU
World Erotic Art Museum
Similar to a research paper, all sources must be cited for all project formats. If you utilize an existing film for inspiration or incorporate clips or pictures from someone else, you must cite those. Failure to do is plagiarism.
These following factors will be considered in determining the project grade:
- Research! The student must demonstrate a thoroughly researched knowledge of subjects.
- The student must tackle Big Ideas-culture, history, religion, philosophy, economic disparity, sexuality, gender, race, to name a few.
- The student should not shy away from controversial subjects or opinions.
- The student should explain the nature of her/his connection to the subject.
- Subjects should be discussed in a broader cultural and historical context. Others should be able to relate to the points made in the project.
- Students should aim for originality in text and in the photo.
- The student is not expected to be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Writing nor Photography. S/he is only expected to put forth maximum effort.
EXAMPLES OF STUDENT WORK
Patricia Menendez “Coral Gables Museum”
EDITOR AND LAST UPDATE
John William Bailly 22 December 2019
COPYRIGHT © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED